Contractor Certification Requirements


Contractor Certification Requirements

Building Contractor Registration (BCR)

As of July 1, 2009, no person or entity may engage or offer to engage in construction business in Wisconsin unless they hold a Building Contractor Registration (BCR) issued by the Safety and Professional Services Division. Emergency rules were effective March 2, 2009. Read announcement, with note of exceptions.

Dwelling Contractor Certification (DC) & Dwelling Contractor Qualifier (DCQ)

Any contractor wishing to work on a one- or two- family dwelling project, that is required to have a municipal building permit, will need to hold TWO certification cards from the Department Safety and Professional Services.

The Dwelling Contractor Financial Responsibility Certification now known as the Dwelling Contractor certification (DC) . This is renewable annually, through the Department of Safety and Professional Services, with a nominal fee and is held by the company.

Beginning January 1, 2008, that company must have an minimum of one individual to also hold a Dwelling Contractor Qualifier certification (DCQ) . As of January 1, 2008, the local official issuing a building permit will be required to check for both of the certifications. The Dwelling Qualifier Certification (DCQ) will require continuing education of 12 credits with in a two year period.**(see #2 below if you are a new contractor or not a principal of the company)

There are two ways to obtain the Dwelling Contractor Qualifier Certification:

  1. If your Financial Responsibility Certification was current in April of 2006 you have the opportunity to be “grand fathered in” to the program and should have received a letter to that effect. Upon receipt of your Qualifier Certificate you will have approximately one year and nine months to obtain your required 12 credits.
  2. **If you are a new builder or did not carry the proper credentials at that time, you will be required to take and pass a contractor initial training class approved by the Safety and Professional Services Division.

For detailed information on this process as well as a current application please visit the Department of Safety and Professional Services and click on License Renewal.

Continue to watch the association Calendar of Events page for more options and locations to fulfill your continuing education requirement.

SCHBA staff will monitor expiration dates for both requirements and remind you of your expiration dates. You will also be able to check on the acquired credits for continuing education requirements and find a list of classes already taken at the Department of Safety and Professional Services web site.

Another benefit of membership!